Family Homes and Businesses

Click on the thumbnail image to see the full-size picture
Fisher house1.jpgLewis Fisher's house built ca. 1792 on Forest Hill in Fredericton. This photograph was taken ca. 1930 by Captain H.F.G. Woodbridge before the home was taken down. The shingle siding had been removed, revealing the squared timber construction beneath. Credit: Woodbridge collection/Provincial Archives of New Brunswick/P32-40.
Fisher house2.jpgThe same Lewis Fisher house, before the siding was removed, in winter. Credit: Woodbridge collection/Provincial Archives of New Brunswick/P32-15.
Forest Hill site showing homes next to Woodbridge house that are still standing.jpgThe intersection of Forest Hill Road and Woodbridge Street on what was once Lewis Fisher's farm. The Woodbridge family estate "Uplands" was where the blue apartment building is now. The two homes on the right are of much earlier construction. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Woodbridge property Uplands PANB.jpgThe same site as the photograph above, ca. 1940s, from further away. The Woodbridge home "Uplands" is on the left in the distance. Cleared land in the foreground would have formed part of Lewis Fisher's farm ca. 1800. The two surviving homes from the previous photo are also visible on the right. Credit: Bob Guthrie.
Kings Landing - Peter Fisher house1.jpgPeter Fisher's house at Kings Landing, a pioneer village near Fredericton. Formerly 142 Westmorland Street in Fredericton, it was moved to Kings Landing in the 1970s or 1980s. Peter Fisher purchased this house in 1809 with its adjoining blacksmith shop and lived here until about 1820. He may have rented the house from Robert Smith from about 1803. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Kings Landing - Peter Fisher house3.jpgA side view of Peter Fisher's house at Kings Landing, showing its new, unfamiliar rural surroundings. Credit: Rob Fisher.
York Hotel, FrederictonThe York Hotel, Fredericton, ca. 1900. Peter Fisher built this home on the corner of King and Westmorland Streets about July 1830 and probably lived here until his death in 1848. His widow Mary Fisher continued to live in this house probably until her death in 1880. The census of 1851 shows her living here with Peter's son William Fisher, who married her daughter by her first marriage, Catherine Amelia Valentine, in 1852. The Fredericton city directory of 1871 shows that Mary Fisher still lived in this house on King Street. Historian Louise Hill tells us that the first two floors of Peter Fisher's house were absorbed into the York Hotel, probably in the 1880s or 1890s. Credit: Harvey Studio collection, Fredericton.
Fredericton - Somerville House (Charles Fisher family home 1840-1907).jpgSomerville House, Waterloo Row, Fredericton. Charles Fisher purchased "Somerville House", an estate on Waterloo Row in Fredericton, in 1846 from the family of John Murray Bliss, the former Chief Justice, who had died earlier in 1834. Charles named it in honour of Dr. James Somerville, the first President of King's College (later the University of New Brunswick) but after his death his daughters renamed it "Summer Villa". The "west wing and part of this house burned" about 1867. A spectator later remembered "the dark building lighted within, and men, two at a time, running out carrying doors and windows". These efforts saved much of the home and during the renovations a furnace and other amenities were installed. Fire struck again on 26 June 1873, of which George Parkin wrote in his diary: "Just as the people had about all got seated in the College Hall, a fire broke out in Judge Fisher's place, to which I went and worked a long time very hard & got dinner at Ketchum's". Somerville House was the centre of an active social life in the 1870s as recorded in Parkin's diary which describes evening parties, dancing, croquet parties and social gatherings. After Charles's death in 1880, his family continued to live here until 1907 when his last daughter died. Somerville House later served as the official residence of the Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick from about 1974 to 2002. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Fredericton - Charles H.B. Fisher house King Street1.jpgCharles Henry Bayard Fisher house at the southwest corner of Church and Brunswick Streets in Fredericton. City directories show that the family lived at 14 Church Street in 1889 and 38 Church Street in 1903. The 1901 census, however, said their residence was on Brunswick Street and that his son Walter's family lived with them in the same dwelling. The confusion probably arises because the home was at the corner of Brunswick and Church streets. Today its address is 790 Brunswick Street. Louise Hill's book on Fredericton homes includes a photograph of Jonathan Odell's house "on the corner of Brunswick and Church streets" which shows in the background a "house opposite in Church street built by Charles Fisher, nephew of the Father of Confederation". The picture reveals this three-story dwelling on the corner of the two streets (it was later the home of Robert Fitzrandolph). Charles H. B. Fisher and family lived in this house from roughly the 1880s to 1903 when they moved to Schenectady, New York. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Fredericton - G. Fred Fisher house York & Brunswick Streets (now McAdam's funeral home 2002)3.jpgGeorge Frederick Fisher house on York Street at the corner of Brunswick Street, Fredericton. He and his family lived here from about the 1870s to 1894 when he died and it had to be sold to settle his estate. It is now part of McAdam's funeral home, 160 York Street. Whereas McAdam's faces York Street today, the 1878 atlas shows that G. Fred Fisher's home was oriented toward Brunswick Street. It was apparently incorporated as a rear wing in the home that is now the McAdam's Funeral Home. Compare with the picture of it ca. 1890 in the Virtual Gallery of Historic Fredericton. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Fredericton City Hall1.jpgFredericton City Hall, built in 1878. G. Fred Fisher was Mayor of Fredericton from 1881 to 1884 and would have presided in this City Hall shortly after it was built. The ground floor was used as an opera house while the city council met on the second floor. It is still the City Hall of Fredericton and is open to the public. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Ross Drug Store - Fisher Building burning March 1942.jpgPhotographs of the Fisher Building burning in 20 March 1942 mounted on display in the Ross Drug Store. Brothers Charles H.B. Fisher and G. Fred Fisher built the brick Fisher Building on the corner of Queen and York Streets in 1877 to house their law firm "Fisher & Fisher", their newspaper the New Brunswick Reporter, and other businesses. In the 1890s these included the Davis & Staples Drugstore and Moses S. Hall's bookstore. The Ross Drug Store was established in 1914 in the corner store where the Davis & Staples drugstore had been. Julius Inches purchased the building after 1903 and it was later home to the Fredericton Business College and Maritime Dental Parlour, among many other offices and stores. Earlier photographs of the Fisher building are featured in the Virtual Gallery of Historic Fredericton. The present Victory Building was built on its site after the fire of 1942. Credit: Ross Drug Store.
Farraline HomeFarraline Home, lower Queen Street, Fredericton. The home of Jane Maria Paulette Fisher and her husband John James Fraser. Fraser was the premier of New Brunswick from 1878 to 1882 and Lieutenant-Governor from 1893 until his death in 1896. On her death in 1907, Jane (Fisher) Fraser bequeathed Farraline Home to be a home for elderly ladies. Credit: Provincial Archives of New Brunswick/P120-18-22.
New Maryland - site of Henry Fisher & son Lewis house before 1871b.jpgSite in New Maryland where Henry Fisher (1780-1855) and his son Lewis Fisher's home had been before 1871. A few traces of the foundation are still visible. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Lewis Fisher house, New Maryland, built 1871b.jpgHome of Lewis Fisher (1827-1897) and his wife Elizabeth Moore (1830-1918), New Maryland. Built in 1871, it remained in the family until the last generation. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Lewis Fisher house, New Maryland, built 1871 - Barn.jpgOld barn on the Lewis Fisher farm in New Maryland. Credit: Rob Fisher.
New Maryland - James & Alice (Fisher) Greer house2.jpgJames William Greer (1864-1944) and Alice Fisher (1866-1899) home in New Maryland. She was a daughter of Lewis Fisher and Elizabeth Moore. Credit: Rob Fisher.
New Maryland - John & Margaret Elizabeth (Fisher) Fletcher house2.jpgJohn Armstrong Fletcher (1848-1909) and Margaret Elizabeth Fisher (1852-1893) house in New Maryland. She was the eldest daughter of Lewis Fisher and Elizabeth Moore. John Fletcher later remarried to her cousin Mary Miller Fisher. Credit: Rob Fisher.
New Maryland - William and Amelia (Fisher) Hamilton house1.jpgHome of William Arthur Hamilton (1861-1898) and Amelia Fisher (1864-1890) in New Maryland. She was a daughter of Lewis Fisher and Elizabeth Moore. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Lewis Peter Fisher home, WoodstockLewis Peter Fisher home, Woodstock. L. P. Fisher and his wife built this magnificent gothic mansion after the fire of 1875 destroyed their home. Located on a hill side overlooking the St. John River, L. P. Fisher bequeathed it in his will to serve as a hospital for Woodstock. It was knocked down in 1934 to make way for the new hospital. Credit: Allison Connell.
L. P. Fisher Public Library, Woodstock.jpgL.P. Fisher Public Library in Woodstock, New Brunswick, 1995. Lewis Peter Fisher (1821-1905) was a lawyer, mayor, and leading citizen of Woodstock for many years. In his will, he bequeathed over $200,000 for charitable purposes in Woodstock including this public library, a hospital, and two schools. Credit: Rob Fisher.
Woodburn in ChathamWoodburn in Chatham, New Brunswick. Home of George Edward Fisher and his wife Kathleen Chipman Connell, ca. 1930s. Credit: Joan Chipman Golding.
Frosty Hollow farm houseFrosty Hollow farm house. Built by Frederick Arnold Fisher of Sackville in the 1920s, Frosty Hollow became a model farm for experimentation with organic farming and introduction of new breeding techniques for horses and stock. Credit: George Fisher.
Gardens at Frosty Hollow farmThe Gardens at Frosty Hollow farm in Sackville. Credit: George Fisher.
Charles Maurice Parkin Fisher house, SackvilleHome of Charles Maurice Parkin Fisher (1891-1983) in Sackville, ca. 2000. Lieutenant-Colonel Charles M. P. Fisher and his family lived in this beautiful home at 41 East Main Street, Sackville, for many years. Credit: Barbara Fisher.
Charles F. Fisher house, Middleton.jpgHome of Charles Frederick Fisher (1874-1951) and his wife Sarah Beaumont Young (1874-1956) in Middleton, Nova Scotia, ca. 1910. Born in Fredericton, he moved to Middleton in the Annapolis Valley after his father died in 1894 and went into business running an ice cream parlour and gift shop. Credit: Fred B. Fisher.
Charles F. Fisher store, MiddletonCharles Frederick Fisher's store in Middleton, Nova Scotia, ca. 1910, advertising an eclectic mix including postcards, stationery, school supplies, bicycle sundries, toilet articles, jewelry, silverware, china, souvenirs, antiques, and more. Credit: Sheri Ann Fisher.
Home of Carl and Bernice (Bentley) FisherHome of Carl Young Fisher (1901-1941) and Bernice Bentley (1900-1992), Middleton, Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, ca. 1985. Carl and Bernice Fisher moved into this home on Main Street in Middleton in the early 1930s. "Nana" lived here until about 1990 when she moved into a nursing home in Truro, Nova Scotia to be closer to her son Neil. Credit: Rob Fisher.
House 2066 Sava Crescent.jpgHome of Fred and Meryl (York) Fisher in Mississauga, Ontario, 2002. Credit: Rob Fisher.



Return to home page

Copyright © Robert C. Fisher 2002-2016